North China Getaway
North China Getaway
Discover the breathtaking countryside and rich cultural history of China’s north on this 12-day trip bookended by the bright city lights of the country’s biggest hubs. From the dizzying heights of Huangshan, the Great Wall and waterfront Shanghai to the underground pits that hold thousands of Terracotta Warriors, this trip explores the diversity and significance of China. Go beyond the tourist trail, immersing yourself in the local ways of life, with hand-picked experiences to choose from and curated stays in small village guesthouses along the way. Northern China is a feast for the senses, especially your appetite.
- Beijing – Great Wall
- Xi’an – Muslim Quarter Walking Tour
- Xi’an – Terracotta Warriors Tour (entrance fee, transport)
- Shanghai – Leader-led Orientation Walk
- Huangshan – National Park Trek
- Hongcun – Leader-led Village Walking Tour
- China is a land of contrasts. From soaking up the bright city lights of Shanghai’s waterfront to exploring the unearthed Terracotta Warriors outside of Xi’an, you’ll get to see it all for yourself!
- Spend two nights at the base of the Great Wall in a locally run guesthouse, and follow in the footsteps of soldiers from hundreds of years ago when you trek the lesser-visited Gubeikou to Jinshanling section.
- This adventure offers plenty of opportunity to get active among the wonders of China. Explore city laneways on walking tours, climb the steps of the Yellow Mountain, trek the Great Wall and cycle countryside lanes in Hongcun.
- Two overnight trains means you’ll maximise your time in each destination, get to know your fellow travellers over a game of mahjong, and have a real sense of the vast size of the country.
- We’re all about authentic experiences, so go local every step of the way with an experienced local leader, public transport, and family-run guesthouses and lodgings wherever possible.
Beijing - Overnight Train
Xi'an – Overnight Train